Project My Life Todd Durkin
I played baseball all through middle school, but when I went to high school I anxiously joined the Brick Dragon Football team. As a freshman you have some options as you enter into young adulthood. Athletics were my thing so football seems to be the next obvious sport I ventured into, especially since the coach was Warren Wolf Sr; the most winningest coach in NJ, at the time. I wanted to be a star football player, I thought.
I liked to hit and really enjoyed the “get big and strong” mentality, shocking right? But I didn’t care too much about learning plays and really disliked the practice part. So, I spent most of my time learning how to build my body in the weight room.
My coaches did however instill some great work habits that stuck with me. They also used to talk about this guy; Todd Durkin. His talent was unparalleled to his consistent work ethic and relentless drive to become better each and every day, was they used to say. The name didn’t mean much to me as I was drifting away from the football field and closer to the gym.
When I began my profession as a full time fitness trainer back in 2008 I looked this guy up since he was from my home town. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that this Brick Dragon alumni had become a powerhouse in the fitness industry mainly because he coached and trained not only the NFL’s superstars including Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Ladainian Tomlinson, but olympic gold medalist Shaun White as well.
Now, an ambassador and Lead Training Advisor for Under Amour, Todd Durkin has become a representative and advisor for major fitness related companies including TRX, Perform Better, Mens Fitness, and he has even found time to create his own mastermind group for entrepreneurs in the fitness industry; Todd Durkin Mastermind Group.
This guy is the real deal! And I am grateful for the opportunity he gave me to chat for this episode of Project My Life: Todd Durkin.
Some topics we discuss include:
- 0:10 – One of my top 10 influencers in my life
- 1:30 – I am Todd Durkin and this is Project My life!
- 1:40 – Todd plays pro football in Europe
- 2:40 – A devastating moment on the field changes Todd’s life for the good
- 3:50 – Todd reinvents himself and avoids injury
- 4:40 – How did you stay so positive during such a tragic time in your life?
- 5:30 – Faith or fear. Acknowledge, then eliminate fear and have faith.
- 6:50 – Have courage the create your best life
- 7:00 – Todd developed a “super star factory” with Fitness Quest 10 in San Diego by working with Drew Brees, Ladainian Tomlinson, Aaron Rodgers, Shaun White
- 7:20 – Was this your ultimate vision when you started?
- 7:50 – “It’s all about survival in the beginning” working with general population
- 9:00 – Vaughn Parkers mom opens up the door for Todd’s career with working with Pro athletes
- 9:18 – 1st round draft pic Ladainian Tomlinson opens up the door for Todd in 2002
- 10:20 – I want to help everyone, But sometimes thats not the best way of building a business
- 11:00 – Is there a certain demographic you don’t work with anymore?
- 12:00 – 80 year olds training next to NFL superstars – melting pot culture of helping people
- 12:40 – How do you maintain the consistent uplifting spirit within your culture?
- 13:20 – “A leader of one, a leader of many. If you can’t lead one you cant lead any”
- 14:20 – Protect your energy, avoid the energy vampires and surround yourself with the right people
- 14:50 – Create a mindset of growth. Get yourself a coach or team of coaches
- 15:20 – great people need to be lead
- 16:00 – Todd’s first hour of the day
- 17:00 – Podcast in the morning (project my life)
- 17:40 – Todd Durkin’s Master mind group
- 20:20 – Todd’s tips for someone trying to grow their brand
- 21:20 – Build your book/list; email, free program, auto respond sequence
- 22:20 – ABDOV – Always Be Delivering Outrageous Value
- 22:40 – Favorite book recommendations, “Start with why”
- 24:00 – What is Todd’s most valuable lesson learned from building his business
- 25:00 – Work on your business, not so much in your business
- 25:50 – If this was your last day on earth, what would you say to your fans/followers?
- 26:20 – Find your PASSION. Discover your PURPOSE. Create maximum IMPACT.
- 26: 40 – Live a life worth telling a story about, but its up to us to create your best life!
- 28:10 – Keeping up with Todd Durkin
- 28:40 – NJ Fit Expo coming soon! Let’s bring back the Power Players who have left NJ and create some Passion, Purpose and Impact on the East Coast!
- Start with Why – Simon Sinek
- Compound Effect – Darren Hardy
- 7 habits of Highly Effective People – Stephan R. Covy
- Motivation Manifesto – Brendon Burchard
Links from the show: